Manager, Writing and Research
Catholics for Choice (CFC) produces several new publications each year from factsheets and scholarly analysis to reports on the work of antichoice groups and the religious right to polling on Catholic attitudes.
We are looking for a manager to help us maintain and enhance CFC’s position as the authoritative source on Catholicism and reproductive rights. If you are a proactive, intellectually curious writer/editor/researcher with the ability to produce high-quality research and publications and engaging content for multiple platforms, this may be the position for you. We are a small staff which requires a high level of personal and professional accountability, a penchant for creative problem solving and finding positive solutions, and an ability to remain calm under sometimes stressful situations.
The ideal candidate is a mid-level advocacy journalist who can manage a quarterly magazine and related online content, a very strong writer, an even stronger editor, and compulsive about making deadlines. You will need to be well-read in issues surrounding sexual and reproductive health and rights, religion, and public policy and able to message in long-form and Twitter-sized pieces. Most of all, you are in sync with CFC’s values and passionate about our mission.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Manager, Writing and Research position requires:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field and three to five years of experience in editing, writing and research ideally with an academic journal or flagship publication.
- Experience in investigative reporting or advocacy journalism a plus. Master’s degree a plus.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to produce readable, appealing, and accurate written products;
- Solid research skills, including library research and on-line facility;
- Knowledge of the reproductive health field;
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of Catholicism;
- Commitment to progressive public policy and CFC’s mission;
- A high degree of initiative with vision, detail orientation flexibility ability to coordinate work of others and strong time management; and
- Deadline driven product oriented hard worker with “no task too small or too large” attitude.
CFC is working remotely until it is safe to return to our offices, located a short walk from the U Street Metro Stop, at 14th and U Streets, NW. Local DC area candidates are strongly preferred but candidates located elsewhere will also be considered. In addition to a salary range of $70,000-$78,000, CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees;
- 403(b) Plan with employer contribution after one year;
- 20 days paid leave per calendar year;
- 12 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Up to 5 days paid time off during the last week of the calendar year; and
- Flexible work schedule
Qualified and interested parties should submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Catholics for Choice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.