Senior Copy Editor
Catholics for Choice (CFC), founded in 1973, serves as a voice for Catholics who believe that the Catholic tradition supports a woman’s moral and legal right to follow her conscience in matters of sexuality and reproductive health. CFC, headquartered in Washington, DC, works with sister organizations throughout Latin America. We maintain a presence in the European parliament and throughout Europe, working closely with Catholic and reproductive health colleagues there. CFC is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO in the UN system and has participated in many UN conferences and forums.
We have an opportunity for a conscientious editor and proofreader with demonstrated success in ensuring that content and publications meet exacting standards and deadlines. Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated commitment to social justice goals, ideally related to reproductive justice, health, or rights and with a working knowledge of issues around religion and public policy. If you are experienced communicating internally and with external partners, equally comfortable preparing content for print or digital consumption and can effectively prioritize and complete work on detailed assignments with competing deadlines, we want to talk to you.
We are a small staff which requires a high level of personal and professional accountability, a penchant for creative problem solving and finding positive solutions, and an ability to remain calm under sometimes stressful situations.
Here is more about the job and its requirements. Reporting to the Communications Director, skills, knowledge, and experience required for this position are:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, master’s degree preferable.
- 3-5 years’ copy-editing experience in professional or academic environment;
- 2-4 years’ experience editing advocacy journalism a plus; and
- Working knowledge of WordPress very helpful.
CFC is working remotely until it is safe to return to our offices, located a short walk from the U Street Metro Stop, at 14th and U Streets, NW. Local DC area candidates are strongly preferred but candidates located elsewhere will also be considered. In addition to a salary range of $65,000-$69,000, CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees;
- 403(b) Plan with employer contribution after one year;
- 20 days paid leave per calendar year;
- 12 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Up to 5 days of paid time off during the last week of the calendar year; and
- Flexible work schedule
Qualified and interested parties should submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Catholics for Choice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.