Chief of Staff
Reports to: President
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C.
Background: Established in 1973, Catholics for Choice (CFC) works in the United States and across the world to ensure that all people have access to safe and affordable reproductive health care services and to infuse the organization’s core values into public policy, community life, and Catholic social thinking and teaching. Understanding that reproductive freedom is Catholic social justice value, Catholics for Choice works to dismantle religiously based obstructions to abortion care, contraceptive access, and comprehensive health care, particularly because these barriers disproportionately affect people of color, the poor, and the vulnerable.
General Summary: Catholics for Choice (CFC) is seeking a hardworking and highly motivated Chief of Staff to support the President of the organization. The Chief of Staff will be expected to partner with the President and support the day-to-day operations of CFC and all staff in successfully moving its mission forward. The individual will act as an advisor and thought partner to the President in the execution of strategic initiatives, staff relations, and organizational effectiveness. The Chief of Staff will work with staff to ensure all activities are performed in a manner that reflects the mission, culture, values, and policies of CFC.
● Provide support to the President on day-to-day operations, building excellent relationships across the organization with all staff
● Serve as first point of contact for all staff relations
● Serve as a leader for members of leadership team, ensuring that all teams are efficiently and effectively meeting objectives of the work-plan and fulfilling their goals to serve the organization
● Provide internal leadership, ensuring teams are collaborating and communicating with each other
● Manage the operation of organization-wide projects and support inter-team work
● Manage staff review process, work plan development, implementation plans, and reports to the Board
● Organize agenda for weekly leadership team and all-staff meetings, and partner with the President to prepare and finalize reports and/or presentations that both inform staff and elevate CFC’s core values.
● Oversee implementation of organizational initiatives from development through successful execution in collaboration with leadership and staff
● Manage vendor relations including contract negotiations, problem solving with vendor contacts, and overall management of the vendor relationship
● Liaise with CFC’s racial justice trainer to evaluate effectiveness of sessions and develop training curricula
● Coordinate the ongoing development of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives for staff and board
● Provide strategic guidance to staff on program management, work plan development, impact metrics, and coherence with CFC’s mission, strategic imperatives, and strategic goals
● Coordinate board meetings by gathering and aligning agenda items; manage all post-meeting follow-up with agreed upon action items and next steps to advance strategic initiatives
● Become deeply familiar with organization mission and structure to recommend improvements for productivity within CFC
● Work with the HR consultant on creative ways to enhance CFC culture, cultivate professional growth opportunities, resolve staff relations issues, and partner on strategic workforce planning and hiring
● Create conditions for staff development, including support for the reflection necessary to assess areas in need of growth and attention
● Assist staff with development of annual work and professional goals
● Coordinate and oversee quarterly and annual performance reviews
Qualifications and Competencies:
● Graduate degree in related field or extensive on-the-job experience
● A minimum of five years of executive management of a leadership team
● Ten years of progressive professional experience in leadership, nonprofit management, advocacy, faith-based work, policy, or politics
● Significant experience leading and managing teams, organizational development, performance management, and leadership development.
● Demonstrated commitment to and advocacy for reproductive freedom
● Deep commitment to racial justice, gender justice, and LGBTQIA+ justice
● Well-organized with strong process management skills and attention to detail
● Proactive approach in staying up to date with organizational needs and programs
● Strong understanding of CFC and/or other faith-based repro organizations
● A track record of success in senior positions at nonprofit or advocacy organizations, implementing strategic initiatives and projects, and representing an organization publicly at high levels.
● Experience with managing budgets and projects and presenting on project data, progress, timelines, and budget
● Strong ability to think critically and apply innovative solutions to complex problems
● Demonstrated success implementing strategic planning goals and projects
● Experience working with and embracing diverse audiences, perspectives, and work styles
● Deep commitment to upholding CFC’s values of transparency, accountability, and mutual admiration and respect
● Exceptional listening skills
● Experience preparing presentations and communications
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Proficient in basic MS Office programs including MS Sharepoint, Teams, Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as presentation programs including Powerpoint and Prezi
Salary for this position fits within a range of $165,000-$175,000 and will be commensurate with relevant degrees and professional experience.
CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
○ 100% paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees
○ 403(b) Plan with employer contribution after one year
○ Paid family and medical leave
○ Paid time off
○ 13 paid holidays per calendar year
Catholics for Choice seeks team members who have a passionate devotion to our mission. Please familiarize yourself with our messaging and programs prior to applying. If you are not unequivocally pro-choice, this role is not for you.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by clicking this link. We encourage candidates to include samples of their previous work as part of their application materials, though it is not required.
No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
Catholics for Choice is an Equal Opportunity Employer