Director of Communications and Strategy
Position Title: Director of Communications and Strategy| Department: Leadership | Reports To: CEO | FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt | Location: Washington, D.C. | Last Revised: July 2021
Catholics For Choice (CFC) was founded in 1973 to shape and advance sexual and reproductive ethics that are based on justice, reflect a commitment to a person’s well-being and affirm the capacity of all people to make moral decisions about their lives.
Catholics For Choice is seeking a proven communications professional to serve as our Director of Communications and Strategy who is responsible for conceptualizing and implementing CFC’s comprehensive communication program and leveraging media opportunities to grow CFC’s brand and subject matter expertise with key stakeholders, influencers, and decision-makers. This includes working closely with the President to envision CFC’s overall strategy, working collaboratively with other organizational leaders to create key campaigns, craft messaging, develop social and multimedia strategy, and lead a team of bright and passionate communications specialists. This is a pivotal moment in CFC’s history, and we need a bold, creative and compassionate leader who understands the singular role of our organization both in the church and in the reproductive rights movement. Candidates must also have a deep commitment to an upholding an organizational culture of inclusion, transparency, generosity and mutual respect and admiration.
- Manages media relations, social media, publications and communications staff to drive CFC’s position as a leading voice for reproductive freedom
- Monitors news cycle for all Catholic and repro-related news with an eye to the ways CFC can contribute to public discourse
- Oversees publishing of CFC’s bi-annual magazine Conscience
- Develops and executes strategic communications plans to engage and activate CFC constituents—including pushing
- Brings CFC’s communications program into the 21st Century with innovating approaches to storytelling, visual media, social media (including Tik Tok, etc.), podcasting, and other current vehicles for communication
- Collaborates closely with leadership of development, programs, and policy departments.
- Works with digital and creative teams to develop, produce, and maintain materials for the web and social media
- Develops strong storytelling collection program
- Pitches ideas for Op-Eds and LTEs and content for CFC’s publications and social media channels
- Identifies emerging communication trends and issues for campaigns, briefs, analyses, statements, and CFC’s programs and services
- Builds and maintains relationships with communications and media relations professionals at partner organizations and collaborates periodically on joint efforts and events
- Expands and maintains relationships with key religion reporters at all major news outlets
- Serve as organizational spokesperson, as needed
- Creates quarterly reports and presentations on department progress and successes
- Assist development team in messaging CFC’s unique value to funders, contribute to grant applications and monitoring
- Manages expenses and budget related to their assigned projects and deliverables
- Manages team of 3 communications department employees
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred. Emphasis in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or English is preferred; knowledge of religion a major plus
- Minimum of seven (7) years of general Communications experience including at least two (2) years’ of specialized experience working in advocacy or non-profit work
- Proven record in rapid response communications and campaign development
- Management experience with at least 3 direct reports
- Experience in and knowledge of the reproductive rights movement
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills are essential, including the ability to explain complex reproductive health issues to the public
- Familiarity with major social-media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok as well as experience in digital storytelling
- Ability to work well with staff and with the coalitions and leadership of allied organizations
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Established, current contacts with major DC-based and national media outlets, and proven placements of Op Eds and news coverage, ideally for television and major print publications
- Hopeful, energetic outlook and devotion to our mission
- Working knowledge of multiple computer software programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Cision, Salesforce, EveryAction
- The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of and commitment to CFC’s core mission of the right to make decisions about abortion and reproductive health care
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church and Catholic theology a bonus
- Salary for this position fits within a range of $115,000-$125,000 and will be commensurate with relevant degrees and professional experience
- We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes health care coverage, retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days
- The position is based in Washington, D.C. The Director of Communications and Strategy must be physically located in Washington, and work in-person when it is safe to return to work post-COVID. Remote work is not an option for this position. We are planning for a hybrid schedule once we are back in the office.
Catholics for Choice seeks team members who have a passionate devotion to our mission. Please familiarize yourself with our messaging and programs prior to applying. If you are not unequivocally pro-choice, this role is not for you. The deadline to apply is August 8, 2021.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
PDF format preferred. No phone calls please.
Catholics for Choice is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. As part of our fundamental values, we are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, HIV status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.