Federal Policy Associate
Reports to: Director of Policy
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Established in 1973, Catholics for Choice (CFC) works in the United States and across the world to ensure that all people have access to safe and affordable reproductive health care services and to infuse the organization’s core values into public policy, community life, and Catholic social thinking and teaching. Understanding that reproductive freedom is Catholic social justice value, Catholics for Choice works to dismantle religiously based obstructions to abortion care, contraceptive access, and comprehensive health care, particularly because these barriers disproportionately affect people of color, the poor, and the vulnerable.
Catholics for Choice (CFC) is seeking a dedicated and passionate advocate for reproductive freedom eager to utilize and grow their lobbying skills to serve as the Federal Policy Associate. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of and interest in the policymaking process and advocacy efforts at the national level as well as good interpersonal and professional skills and the desire to work with diverse groups of people. The Federal Policy Associate must feel comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and centering faith and Catholic social teaching in all that they do. This position will also include key responsibilities to support the Organizing Manager in encountering, educating, and emboldening CFC activists across the country.
- Work closely with Director of Policy in representing CFC and engaging with Congress, the administration, government officials, and their staff to advance abortion rights and access at the federal level.
- Serve as staff lead on additional federal policy issues as assigned.
- Research and create written materials including talking points, actions alerts, regulatory comments, and additional policy resources.
- Build and maintain relationships with organizational partners in both faith-based and secular coalitions.
Support Director of Policy in developing and managing federal Catholics in Public Life (CiPL) program and in planning and executing events and programming for CiPL members, CFC staff and activists, and coalition partners in Washington, D.C.
- Provide Values Clarification Workshops and other policy trainings for coalition partners and activists.
Support Organizing Manager in working with CFC activists on the ground – through one-on-one meetings, leadership development, and email outreach – especially those interested in CFC’s policy work.
- Assist Organizing Manager in ensuring effective storage and use of activist engagement information in Salesforce and EveryAction databases.
- Serve as Policy Team liaison to Development Team in monthly reporting and tracking successes, contacts, and major activities.
- Other duties as assigned to support the work of the Policy Team.
- Commitment to social and reproductive health, rights, and justice and passion for CFC’s core philosophy of the right to make unimpeded decisions about abortion and reproductive health care.
- Fundamental understanding of intersectionality and the impact of multiple systems of oppression on one’s ability to access sexual and reproductive health care.
- Experience working or interning with a progressive policy organization and/or on Capitol Hill.
- Background, coursework, or experience in faith-based advocacy work, theology, and/or Catholic social teaching.
- Good writing, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, organize time efficiently, and work both independently and with supervision.
- Proficient knowledge of multiple computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams. Knowledge of Salesforce and EveryAction database systems a plus.
- Relevant two-three (2-3) years work experience and/or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in political science, public policy, healthcare, or a related field.
Salary for this position fits within a range of $55,000 to $59,000 and will be commensurate with relevant degrees and professional experience.
CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees;
- 403(b) Plan with employer contribution after one year;
- Paid family and medical leave of up to 12 weeks;
- 20 days paid leave per calendar year;
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Paid time off during end-of-year office closures (December 23-31); and
- Currently operating on a half day schedule on Fridays.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. The Federal Policy Associate must be physically located in Washington and work in-person when it is safe to return to work. 100% remote work is not an option for this position. We are currently working a hybrid model (2 days in office, 3 days work from home), and our plan is to eventually establish a 3 days in-office, 2 days WFH permanent schedule.
Catholics for Choice seeks team members who have a passionate devotion to our mission. Please familiarize yourself with our messaging and programs prior to applying. If you are not unequivocally pro-choice, this role is not for you.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample of no more than five pages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PDF format preferred, email subject line “Federal Policy Associate.” No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.