(Senior) Finance Manager
Division: Development, Finance, & Shared Sertives
Reports To: Director of Finance & Shared Services
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Washington, D.C.
Last Revised September 2023
Catholics For Choice (CFC) was founded in 1973 to shape and advance sexual and reproductive ethics that are based on justice, reflect a commitment to a person’s well-being and affirm the capacity of all people to make moral decisions about their lives.
Catholics for Choice seeks a qualified professional to serve as our (Senior) Finance Manager & Shared Services (“Manager”). The Manager is an integral member of our Finance & Shared Services Department, supporting a scaling organization during a period of growth. This role reports to the Director of Finance & Shared Services.
The role of the Finance Manager involves managing the daily tasks of budget management, grants accounting, grants management, and other financial and administrative operations that support the finance function of CFC, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. This role will also support financial processes and technology change management efforts, which the Director of Finance & Shared Services will lead.
This position is a hybrid one and is based in Washington, DC. The candidates for this role must work at our D.C. office in person for at least two days weekly.
Candidates must be passionately committed to maintaining a culture of inclusivity, openness, generosity, and mutual honor and appreciation as we navigate this crucial juncture in CFC’s history.
Budget & Reforecast Preparation
- Collaborates with the Director of Finance & Shared Services, Senior Staff, and program leaders to develop a comprehensive annual plan and budget that includes all necessary program details.
- Works with the Finance & Shared Services Director to monitor and track grants, project expenses, and revenues. Conducts monthly budget reconciliation, generates updated budget reports, and monitors budget to actuals.
- Collaborates with the Senior Staff to maintain project budgets; trains the Senior Staff and staff to read and understand financial reports and manage programs based on financial data.
- Produce budgets for grant proposals in collaboration with program leaders, the Development Department, and the Director of Finance & Shared Services.
Grants, Contracts & Closing Management
- Monitors the schedule of grant reporting deadlines and coordinates with colleagues to ensure financial reports are prepared, approved, and submitted on time.
- Manages CFC’s consultant contracts and grants agreements process.
- Manages sub-granting processes by soliciting and monitoring reports from grantees and updating reporting.
- Oversees and maintains financial records on the Program’s funding; grantees and contractors work with staff to respond to funder requests for financial information.
- Supports colleagues in the development of financial supplementary grant materials, including program and project budget projections.
- Serves as the department’s liaison for questions related to annual audits, financial status updates, tax documents, and more.
- Supervises and supports the following processes conducted by our outsourced accounting firm:
- Month-end reconciliation of assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Reconciling bank accounts and credit card statements, including preparing related journal entries.
- Standard month-end and year-end close journal entries by maintaining records and files.
- Calculates and maintains support for monthly accruals.
- Maintains prepaid journal entries and supports for monthly balances.
- Maintains accounting systems to accurately track restricted and project-related funds.
- Updates and maintains vendor databases and contracts tracking schedule, including confirming payment instructions.
- Processes contributions, invoices, and deposits in Intacct.
- Processes accounts payable using Bill.com.
- Draft vendor and supplier contracts, routing for execution and filing in appropriate folders.
- Processes and maintains documentation of grants and restricted donations, including grant management/monitoring expenditure (spending down) of grants and financial reporting on the allocation of grant money.
- Manages corporate credit card program.
- Processes employees’ expense reports and related reimbursements.
- Tracks online donations to ensure all contributions are deposited and recorded correctly in Intacct.
- Physically deposits checks received and records them in Intacct appropriately.
- Maintains a list of donor information required for 990 purposes.
- Maintains fixed asset schedules, including tracking additions and calculating depreciation annually.
- Recommends, implements, and ensures internal controls and processes are in place that monitor and protect the organization’s assets.
- Maintains lease accounting adjustments.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance & Shared Services.
Financial Reporting and Technical Training
- In consultation with the Director of Finance & Shared Services, monitors and analyzes accounting data and performs variance analysis on budget vs. actual results.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly financial and ad-hoc management reports for Senior Staff and the Board under the direction of the Director of Finance & Shared Services.
- Enforces proper accounting methods, policies, and principles.
- Drafts, maintains, and updates manuals, guidelines, and policies concerning the organization’s financial structure and policies.
- Drafts, maintains and updates Sage Intacct and Bill.com training instructions.
- Conducts regular training (existing and new hires) on CFC’s accounting and payroll systems, policies, processes, tools, and resources.
Payroll, Audit & Compliance
- Monitors and supports semi-monthly payroll to keep payroll records and documentation current.
- Manages employee records in the payroll system as necessary for semi-monthly payroll.
- Coordinates Paid Open Leave and payroll administration.
- Oversees payroll time and attendance system.
- Reconciles all payroll and benefits accounts.
- Helps with other tasks related to maintaining CFC’s 403(b) plan.
- Prepares documents and manages annual workers’ compensation audit.
- Supports issuance of W2s and 1099s.
- Reimbursement request validation and processing, which includes that reimbursement requests meet the established guidelines and policies.
- Prepares reports to help with payroll processing compliance.
- Responsible for payroll/unemployment state filing issues, tax payments, and compliance.
- Assists with the annual audit, including preparing and gathering documents requested by external auditors.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or related fields is preferred, but relevant professional experience will be welcomed in lieu of a degree.
- 5+ years’ experience of relevant professional experience.
- 2-3 years supporting payroll processes.
- Professional experience using Bill.com and Tallie.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to produce high-quality materials in short timeframes and manage several projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to appreciate and contribute to an environment that values integrity, adaptability, reliability, collaboration, a commitment to learning, and a sense of humor.
- Dedication to accuracy and superior attention to detail.
- Experience with c3/c4 accounting preferred.
Compensation & Total Rewards
- The salary for this position is $65,00 to $85,000 and will be commensurate with relevant degrees and professional experience.
- CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees.
- 403(b) Plan with employer contribution (4%) after one year.
- Paid family and medical leave of up to 12 weeks.
- Paid parental leave up to 16 weeks.
- 20 days paid leave per calendar year (CFC will transition to an open leave policy in 2024, which requires team members to take at least five weeks off each year, in addition to paid holidays and office closures).
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- Paid time off during end-of-year office closures (December 23-31); and
- Currently operating on a half-day schedule on Fridays.
This position will be based in Washington, DC, and will work in person on a hybrid model (2 days in the office, three days working from home).
Catholics for Choice seeks team members who are enthusiastic about our mission. Please familiarize yourself with our messaging and programs before applying. If you are not unequivocally pro-choice, this role is not for you. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter at this link: Finance Manager. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.
Catholics for Choice is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. As part of our fundamental values, we are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, HIV status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.