Updated February 10, 2022
Catholics For Choice (CFC) was founded in 1973 to shape and advance sexual and reproductive ethics that are based on justice, reflect a commitment to a person’s well-being, and affirm the capacity of all people to make moral decisions about their lives.
Catholics for Choice (CFC) is seeking a proven and highly motivated advocate for reproductive freedom to serve as the Organizing Manager responsible for the creation and management of an activist program to situate CFC as the home for progressive pro-choice Catholics. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who possesses in-depth knowledge of community organizing and educational tactics, providing opportunities for CFC activists to learn about and take action to advance our policy priorities, as well as excellent interpersonal skills and the desire to work with diverse groups of people. The Organizing Manager must feel comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and centering faith, Catholic social teaching, and the leadership of those most impacted by abortion restrictions in all that they do.
- Recruit and build a robust and sustainable network of activists across the country to speak knowledgably about and take direct action to advance Catholics for Choice policy priorities in their communities and on Capitol Hill.
- Ensure multiple points of entry and tiers of engagement within activist program, expanding the network by soliciting referrals from new and established CFC activists.
- Design a system of regular and consistent communication with new and established CFC activists, including organizing and advocacy emails, phone and video calls, and in-person meetings.
- Build and maintain relationships by listening to, supporting, and motivating CFC activists to participate in community mobilization and engagement activities.
- · Organize and execute community mobilization and engagement activities including lobby days, advocacy trainings, elected official outreach, educational workshops, house parties, film screenings and discussions, etc.
- Identify and develop CFC activist leaders.
- Serve as main liaison with community organizational partners, representing CFC in field coalitions and working groups and ensuring meaningful collaborations.
- Collect and conscientiously steward activist information, engagement metrics, and stories as well as data on recruitment and activist network growth.
- Manage CFC activist Facebook group and implement additional digital organizing techniques.
- Assist with coordination of CFC monthly webinar and Facebook Live series, designing skills-based and action components and recruiting and engaging activist attendees.
- Other duties as assigned to support the work of the Policy Team.
- 5-7 years professional community organizing experience, preferably within the reproductive health, rights, and justice and/or Catholic social justice movements.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and reproductive health, rights, and justice and passion for CFC’s core philosophy of the right to make unimpeded decisions about abortion and reproductive healthcare.
- Fundamental understanding of intersectionality and the impact of multiple systems of oppression on one’s ability to access sexual and reproductive healthcare.
- Experience working at a progressive nonprofit organization at the local, state, and/or national level.
- Background, coursework, or experience in faith-based advocacy work, theology, and/or Catholic social teaching a plus.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, organize time efficiently, and work largely independently while consulting with and reporting back to Director of Policy.
- Proficient knowledge of multiple computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams.
Salary for this position fits within a range of $65,000 to $75,000 and will be commensurate with relevant experience.
CFC’s generous employee benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and long-term disability insurance for CFC employees
- 403(b) Plan with employer contribution after one year
- Paid family and medical leave of up to 12 weeks
- 20 days paid leave per calendar year
- 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Paid time off during end-of-year office closures (December 23-31)
- Currently operating on a half day schedule on Fridays
Ideally, this position is based in Washington, DC, but there is some flexibility as travel will be required once it is safe to do so. CFC is working remotely until it is safe to return to our offices, located a short walk from the U Street Metro Stop, at 14th and U Streets NW.
Catholics for Choice seeks team members who have a passionate devotion to our mission. Please familiarize yourself with our messaging and programs prior to applying. If you are not unequivocally pro-choice, this role is not for you.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Catholics for Choice is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PDF format preferred, email subject line “Organizing Manager.” No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.